Sunday, September 12, 2010

Falling out of love.

Hello all,

Yes, it's been quite sometime since I last posted. Months even. I had a spare few minutes tonight and thought I'd give a holler of a hello to all.

Brief run down on what's happening before the bulk of tonights blog.
During the past few months, I've fallen head over heels with lust - then fell out entirely, (more on this later) fractured a finger and still realising maybe Arts isn't me at all.

But to the point of tonight's blog.

I have never been the biggest advocate for relationships at such a young age, so all my thoughts are based upon my experiences and mainly my observations.
I've been thinking a lot lately about this notion of 'teenage love'
Personally, I think it's a load of crap.

Some of people I know of are getting engaged before they are 18!
I could not imagine even settling down before completing university, let alone promise my life to another human being before I'm an adult.

Then you get the 15 year olds that have been a relationship for a month and are going to be with that person "forever and ever" or love a certain person "more than anything else." More importantly month later guess who's not loving each other anymore. At 15 nobody has "a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person" (as defined by the online dictionary). However, the one that makes me cringe the most "I love (so and so) more than life itself" So, they love this person more than their parents? Let alone their own life. I would not be killing myself over someone I've known for a month in true "romantic" Romeo and Juliet style. All the story that Romeo and Juliet showed, is how stupid teenagers can be - there was nothing worth loving in that relationship.

I think that the word 'love' has lost it's meaning to the generation Y's, and therefore made it so mediocre; it numbs the senses.
I think these teenyboppers need to have a serious reality check and keep their eyes focused on what is important at their tender age.
Don't get me mistaken, I'm not dismissing relationships. I think they are a crucial part of growing up throughout adolecence, I just want pre-teens/teens to stop throwing the word love around so carelessly without considering the consequences.
I think love to these teens is getting confused with a combination of lust, lonliness, hormones and the need to take ones clothes off.

At 18, life should be about discovering yourself; and what you want. Not planning a wedding or even considering a family.

Next time you (mainly infering teens) say "I love this person" think, do you really know what love is?

This is all in my opinion of course


Shel xx

1 comment: